Chapel House at Colgate University
Chapel House is a 1959 International Style building on the campus of Colgate University in upstate New York designed by J. Walter Severinghaus of Skidmore Owings & Merrill. Nestled into a wooded hillside, this building was designed to serve as a place for solitude and spiritual reflection. It houses a non-denominational chapel, library, music room, and overnight accommodations for guests from both within and without the University community.
Built at a time when energy costs were low, the original Chapel House design needed updates to improve its energy profile. C&H was selected to execute a series of upgrades and renovations that will improve building energy performance, as well as assure accessibility for all users and maintain the architectural integrity of the original.
Throughout this process, C&H facilitated a dialog with stakeholders to assure that the unique character of Chapel House is preserved for posterity.
- Replacement of existing mechanicals with a geothermal heat pump that provides both heating and cooling to the entire building.
- Fresh air will be provided to all rooms via an Energy Recovery Ventilator, which reclaims conditioning energy from inside air before it is exhausted.
- The existing curtain wall system will be replaced with a modern high performance assembly to minimize heat loss and thermal bridging.
- Roof replacement with improved drainage and increased insulation.
- A new addition on the inconspicuous north facade will house an elevator and lobby, greatly improving the accessibility of the building.
- New accessible guest suite will allow universal access to retreats at Chapel House.
- Two new ADA restrooms on the main floor provide facilities for all visitors and staff.
- Reconfiguration of the main level to locate the dining room for good daylighting.
C&H Architects, Amherst MA
Bebee Construction, Utica NY
Structural Engineer & Landscape Architect
Klepper, Hahn & Hyatt, East Syracuse NY
LN Consulting, Winooski VT
Lorin Starr, Amherst MA
Conceptual Lighting, Windsor, CT
MH Professional Engineering, Clifton Park, NY
Owner’s Envelope Commissioning
Camroden Associates, Westmoreland, NY
© Roy Gumpel Photography Woodstock, NY